Sunday, October 13, 2013

What is a Travel Mercy?

 
Mercy (mer-cy); n. pl. mercies
1. Compassionate treatment, especially of those under one's power; clemency.
2. A disposition to be kind and forgiving: a heart full of mercy.
3. Something for which to be thankful; a blessing: It was a mercy that no one was hurt.
4. Alleviation of distress; relief: Taking in the refugees was an act of mercy.
(Definition courtesy of The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright (c)2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. All rights reserved. www.thefreedictionary.com; June 2012.)

"The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works." - Psalms 145:9

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." - Hebrews 4:16

"Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful." - Luke 6:36
(Bible verses are from the King James Version and taken from www.godvine.com; June 2012.)

     Have you ever been in church and heard someone ask God for "Travel Mercies" or pray that someone going on a trip would receive them? My wife and I have heard this sentiment repeated in churches we have attended all over the country (We move frequently, courtesy of the Air Force).

     The "Travel Mercy" became our running joke. We often mused why God had established this special category of mercy. Obviously these believers were just asking God to bless them or their loved ones during travel, a time when all of us can frequently use all the help we can get.

Travel Mercy Basic Shape
     I had never seen a "Travel Mercy," so I decided to create one using hyperbolic crochet. Yes, it's rather geeky, but making them brings me a lot of joy. (I'll show you how in a later post...) I like making Travel Mercies so much that I have turned it into a ministy. I often crochet them in public, hoping people will ask me what I'm doing. It's a great way to talk with people about how much God loves them.

     More often than not, if I can finish the one I'm working on during the conversation, I give it to the person. In the last couple of years I have probably given away a couple hundred; I haven't kept track. Sometimes people have offered to give me money for them. I politely refuse, but if they insist, I take it to go toward supplies. I'm about to participate in my first craft fair (9 Nov, Arts and Craft Center on Hickam Air Force Base for those readers in Hawaii; I'll post some pictures). A beloved uncle, one of the best men I've ever met, is battling cancer, and I'm trying to raise a little extra cash to help with his medical expenses...

     My desire is to see Travel Mercies spread throughout the world and that each person who receives one would be reminded how much God loves him or her. This little companion is perfect for sharing adventures, both good and bad, and Travel Mercies remind us to show God's love and mercy to one another - to cut each other some slack - especially when we travel!

     Be safe, and be blessed!
     Matt

Travel Mercies by Matt - Photo by my mom Suzie

No comments:

Post a Comment